Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mac vs. PC

In our first week's lessons I learned a thing or two about why I, the devoted PC consumer, should make the switch to a Mac. I have to admit, the arguments were strong, and the Mac commericals made me second-guess my PC loyalty, but by the end of the lesson my loyalty to PC was still there, and I walked away with an even deeper connection to Microsoft after learning of their first contract with IBM.
The commercials made two main points that stuck out to me. First, Mac is more compatible with your life (i.e. photos, videos, creating websites, music, ease of use and even the powercord magnetic pop is thought out.) Secondly, Mac can run Windows and anything else you would have on your PC. As I dig deeper into my Public Relations major, I do think their will be times that owning a Mac would be advantageous. Mac would allow me to be more creative with my projects and presentations.
This music video is a spoof of the Mac vs. PC commercials. It accentuates Mac's ease of use and trendiness while drawing attention to PC's professional reputation. It's a funnier spin on the ad campaign and is a bit less biased.


The history nerd in me enjoyed reading the articles and learning about how both Apple and Microsoft got started. I thought it was particularly surprising that Apple, a company which I view as fairly liberal and progressive, has had issues with criticisms of labor practices in the past. Apple's redeeming quality is that it has been named Most Admired Company in the World three years in a row.
I grew up in a neighborhood that was across the street from a major IBM industrial park in South Florida. So I enjoyed learning that Microsoft got a jump-start by making a contract with IBM that kicked off their most profitable era. It didn't surprise me that Microsoft dominates office suite market. I absolutely love using my Microsoft office suite to make diagrams and charts which enrich my various presentations I have to make in class and for campus involvement positions. It is also useful for building portfolios which I have sent to future employers when applying for internships and jobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment