Thursday, September 23, 2010

Instructional Media Isn't Just for Education Majors

     In week four's lessons we learned how to use instructional media. At first, I thought I wouldn't get much out of it because it seemed to be geared more towards Education majors, but as the lesson progressed I saw more and more ways I could use the information as a Public Relations major.
     The slide show on instructional media taught us how to make the most effective presentations. The acronym C.R.A.P. is worth much more than the word it spells. Contrast, Repetition, Alignment, and Proximity are concepts that I hadn't thought about, but that after reading the slides realize how much of an effect they can have on a presentation.  For instance, font size seems like such an insignificant thing, but when projecting something, font counts. I learned that 28 point size font and larger is best for projection. Another point made about instructional media is that not only is it okay to have a lot of white space, but it is actually a good thing. I always thought that the more abstract the slide, the better; but after viewing examples, I have come to the conclusion that my previous perception was definitely wrong.
     As a Public Relations major I make countless Power Point presentations. So as my post title suggests instructional media is not limited to the use of Education majors. In fact, when making pitches to a company about PR or advertising designs, you are basically educationg top executives of a company or firm about your new idea. The YouTube video on multimedia provided me with a lot of tips on how to enhance my presentation by using animation and eye-catching graphics. So this lesson is most definitely pertinent to my area of study.
     My outside resource for this blog is a PDF which further explains the concept of C.R.A.P. I preferred this PDF to the one we used in class becuase it very clearly describes what each aspect of C.R.A.P. means while still providing excellent examples. It gave me a better model to go off of, and I will definitely reference it when I have to make my next project presentation for my PUR3500 research class.

     The man in the gray flannel suit on PR...

"You got a clean shirt, you bathe every day...
That's all there is to it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment