Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Know What You Mean Jelly Bean! (and other ways we learn)

     Week five's lessons were my favorite thus far. This is most likely because I learned a lot about myself which is something I enjoy doing because I'm not so great at self-reflection like a lot of people are. Not only did I learn about myself, but my awareness was heightened of how others work and what makes people tick.
     The first thing I learned is that there are three main learning styles: Visual, Auditory, and Tactile-Kinesthetic. I am a visual and tactile-kinesthetic learner which means I remember what I read and right as well as what I do. It was no surprise to find out that I am an interpersonal and intrapersonal learner because I am a social butterfly, I love to give advice/am usually sought after for advice, I'm good at understanding people, and I am constantly setting goals.
     Knowing that different people have different ways of learning is something that I can use to make my PR presentations better.  I am now more aware of the different aspects that go into making an effective presentation when trying to appeal to a diverse audience of learners. When using visual shows like Power Points, I will make an effort to to repeat concepts for auditory learners so they don't get lost in the visual presentation. For the tactile-kinesthetic learners, I should include a quick activity because they remember what they DO. So something like a short handout survey would be best to get them involved in the presentation. For my presentations to have the biggest impact, I need to make sure that I am appealing to all three types of learners. 
     My outside resource for this week's lesson could be used as a supplement to the material that we already have. It is a PowerPoint which, for linking purposes, has been converted to an HTML format. It gives teachers ideas on how to appeal to the different types of learners they encounter in their classrooms.  The information shows teachers how to differntiate curriculum and learning environments so every kind of learner has the same advantages in the classroom. While the presentation is definitely geared towards teachers, it can also be applied to presentation-making in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment