Thursday, October 28, 2010

Google Docs and Social Bookmarking

     Google Docs just might be the best thing since sliced bread. At least for a student who has a lot of group projects. It allows users to attach email adresses to documents instead of the other way around. Google Docs converts documents, spreadsheets, and presentations into online versions and keeps the document online so that the project collaborators can edit it in one place.
     My favorite thing about social bookmarking is that it's less mess.  A lot of times regular bookmarking can result in a messy, unorganized list that is difficult to search through. Social bookmarking sites like Delicious allow you to create tags which help diminish clutter. The "social" part plays in by allowing you to share all of your saved bookmarks with friends. 
     I will definitely use Google Docs in PR when putting together Power Point presentations that require me to work with other people. I already use it in many of my classes for group projects. Social bookmarking would be a great tool to share with colleagues. When one of my coworkers found a useful site which the entire office would benefit from, she could save it on a site like Delicious so all of us could take advatage of it.
     My outside source is the video below. It pokes fun at the old way of bookmarking and emphasizes the convenience of social bookmarking. It really sharpened my persepective of social bookmarking and made me realize its usefulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment