Monday, October 25, 2010

Digital Technology

     I never realized that digital technology is all around us. Actually, I never knew what digital technology was. Turns out, it's a lot of different things from online movies to video games to digital story books - even my mom has an iPad. The perception of digital technology ranges from people who enthusiastically embrace it to those who shun it like the coffee shop owner in San Francisco who was referenced in the L.A. Times because he doesn't have any electrical outlets or Wi-Fi for customers. On the opposite side of the spectrum are the funeral homes that offer live-streaming videos of actual memorials on their websites.
     I think that I would use digital technology in the corporate PR firm world. Certainly being able to conference call or "skype" someone into a meeting would be convenient. This type of media could also save a company money in travel expenses since an employee or client could virtually attend a meeting.
     Since I am interested in entertainment law and would love to some day live in Nashville,TN, my outside source is this article which was interesting to me because it pointed out the ties between digital technology and music artists. Digital technology has thrown a wrench in the machine of copyright. Many copyright issues concerning the technology come from music and videos being copied without performers receiving royalties. With the growing popularity of digital technology, it is doubtful that much will or can be done in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment